A Task Long Overdue

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

"Jane Austen", Evert A. Duyckinick, 1873. Via Shmoop.com


Okay, friends, it's confession time. I realize that Leah and I are only a few days into this challenge, but I have to get something off my chest. I'm a self-confessed Jane Austen fan... but I have only finished one of her books (I read Emma in middle school, and I barely made it through to the end). That's right folks, I have seen at least one film adaptation of each of her novels, I quote her words, hold men up to the standards of her characters, but I've never really read Jane's works. Can I even speak of her on a first name basis when I've barely taken the time to get to know her? It's kind of shameful that I haven't even finished Pride and Prejudice since I had something like 80 pages left to go the last time I put it down. So, of course, one of my bigger goals this month is to read the rest of Miss Austen's novels. Unfortunately, I've already hit a brick wall. I started Mansfield Park two days ago and I haven't even met the heroine, Fanny Price, yet. The introduction to the story, which takes all of about five minutes to show on film, has caused me to slip into a stupor each time I try to get through it. I'm tempted to just skip ahead and get to the "interesting" parts. But do they exist? Let's just say that I'm not exactly looking forward to the next 487 pages...

No comments:

Post a Comment